Please note, due to Covid-19, Communities Working is only available for support through telephone, email and Facebook until further notice.
What is Communities Working?
Communities Working is the Coalfields Regeneration Trust’s employment and skills service, serving people living in former mining areas of Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham.
Anyone aged over 16 who is unemployed, working part time or facing redundancy, and living in a former mining area, is welcome to receive free employment and skills support either as an individual or part of a group.
When the coal industry started to breakdown in the late 1990s, it wasn’t just the mines that came to end – thousands of careers suddenly ground to a halt.
Even today, around 30 years later, communities living in the UK’s former mining areas still face huge challenges when it comes to finding a job or gaining new skills.
One of the many ways we’re tackling these challenges is through Communities Working, our dedicated programme which supports and inspires individuals to find work and achieve their true potential.
How does Communities Working help?
A talented team of community employment and skills coaches provide individuals with the personalised support they need to achieve a career they can be proud of.
We listen and offer choices. We encourage individuals to build their confidence and resilience through non-judgmental and confidential advice and guidance.
Our support is there for as long as is needed because we appreciate this may take time and understand that people’s circumstances change.
What services do we offer?
- Help with crafting CVs, cover letters and job applications
- Assistance with job searches, job matching and improving basic IT skills
- Tips on building interview skills, and improving confidence
- Careers guidance and identifying suitable training, courses or qualifications
- Provide volunteering opportunities
- Suggesting specialist support to help overcome personal barriers
- Financial assistance to help secure work; such as travel costs and interview clothing
Employment and skills resources
Download CV templates, guidance for job applications and more below